Deciding whether to drop-out of university is a big decision, so communicating with your university is essential before committing to withdrawing from your degree programme.

University isn’t the right choice for everyone. It is not uncommon for students to drop-out of university midway through their studies; on average, 6.3% of UK students drop out of university every year.

Drop-out rates vary considerably between institutions. London Metropolitan University has the highest drop-out rate in the UK at 18.6%, while the University of Cambridge is the lowest at 1%.

Whatever your reasons may be, Developing a Student can provide the support and resources you need to make the withdrawal from university as easy and pain-free as possible.

Withdrawing from your course

If you decide university life isn’t the right fit for you or your circumstances have changed so that you’re no longer able to continue your studies, it’s essential to speak with your tutor or director of studies directly.

Your university may be able to provide the support that allows you to continue with your studies. This may include transferring to part-time studies or a different institution closer to home.

If you are considering withdrawing from your studies but are unsure whether you want to leave university entirely, take the time to explore our guide on changing your course. You may realise that a degree programme transfer is the perfect option for your interests, needs and wellbeing.

Your institution can provide the support you need during the process of leaving university. Contact student support services if you require advice or support.

Repaying your student loan

You will also be required to notify student finance services you have withdrawn from your studies as soon as possible. They will inform you of how to proceed with the loan repayment, and notify if you of maintenance loan overpayments.

For those that withdraw from their studies before completion of their degree, you are still responsible for repaying your maintenance loan along with any tuition fee loan paid by student finance services to your university.

The amount of tuition fee you are required to repay depends on the date at which you withdrew from your studies. If you did not complete the full academic year, you would not be required to repay the full year tuition fee. For more information, visit our guide to university costs.

Suspending your studies

Alternatively, you may want to consider suspending your studies. People choose to suspend their studies if they require a break from university because of a change to their circumstances. The reasons people choose to suspend their studies include:

  • Health issues
  • Financial difficulties
  • Maternity, paternity or adoption
  • Immigration matters

If you are considering suspending your studies, speak with your tutor or director of studies. You will be required to inform your university the reason for which you want to suspend your degree programme, and upon approval, you will be able to discuss an expected return date.

Just like with withdrawal from university, you’re required to inform student finance services of a study suspension. Student finance will stop all upcoming tuition fee payments to your university until your studies resume. You may be eligible to receive student finance support during your suspension period, depending on your financial circumstances.

For more information on Undergraduate studies, visit our dedicated guide.