Student Experience Manager – College of Engineering and Physical Sciences – 97720 – Grade 7-(210001AG)
STUDENT EXPERIENCE MANAGER – 97720
Area: College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Salary: Full time starting salary is normally in the range £30,942 to £40,322 with potential progression once in post to £42,792
Band/Grade: Grade 7
Hours: Full time
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Closing Date: 10 August 2021
Note to applicants: No CV’s will be considered for this post. Please ensure that all relevant information is included in the application form.
This role is based within the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences and plays a vital role in supporting the management and development of Student Experience provision working closely with senior academics and Professional Services colleagues to enable the College to deliver excellence in student experience.
The post holder will possess a broad understanding of how academia operates as a business and will be responsible for the management and optimisation of student experience for the College. They will work with Education and Student Experience staff across the College, central services, and external partners to lead on student experience projects (such as Welcome Week and student survey strategy) and make a major contribution to strategic discussions, developing policy and procedure in Schools ensuring consistency of practice and delivery of the College strategy. The post holder will manage the College Student Experience staff, and also undertake elements of the Student Experience Officer role for Schools where they do not have one.
The post holder will work on their own initiative and exercise a high level of judgement, skill and understanding to conceive, develop and implement long term improvements to service delivery and effective ways of working within their areas of responsibility.
• To work closely with School Heads of Education, and the wider College Education team to enhance and maintain the quality of student experience in line with University, College and School education strategy and the College strategic plan.
• Work independently, whilst consulting with senior academic staff, senior College staff and Heads of Operations on the development and implementation of procedures to support change using an open and inclusive leadership style to gain commitment from all staff for any initiatives they implement. This will involve working with a variety of internal and external staff and may involve significant changes.
• Manage and lead College student experience projects such as Welcome Week, Graduations and Student Surveys and operate effectively interfacing with colleagues at both College and University level.
• Undertake regular reviews of processes and systems to ensure that they remain efficient, integrated, fit for purpose and in line with current University, College and School quality assurance practices, current sector guidance and best practice. The post holder will identify the need for improvements where necessary and contribute to the delivery and implementation of action plans to respond to those needs, with agreement from the College Head of Operations (Student Experience and Wellbeing).
• Ensure that the shape of student experience support in each School is fit for purpose, reviewing and balancing the allocation of responsibilities within the team to ensure that an effective and efficient service is delivered, and communicate with Schools to ensure the delivery of a high-quality service which meets local and College needs.
• Offer specialist advice about internal and external factors impacting the student experience and provide solutions to Schools so they are able to effectively respond to these external factors.
• Maintain an overview of student activities for the College, ensuring there is parity for students across the College and that activities are fit for purpose, taking responsibility for the integrity of all events and information held at School, College and University level.
• Represent the College on Committees and Groups as directed by the Head of Operations (Student Experience and Wellbeing)
• Support our staff and student body in reviewing our current Student Representation System including supporting the recruitment of student representatives, and liaising with the Guild of Students where required.
• Work with professional services and academic colleagues to support the delivery of change projects across the College, planning and ensuring delivery within set timescales.
• Manage and lead a Professional Services team of staff focused on delivering and improving student experience and other related activities within the College, providing support and guidance for them, as well as handling situations effectively and professionally.
• To provide student experience support directly to the Schools within the College who do not have Student Experience Officers.
• Take the lead on projects or new initiatives relating to the University’s education agenda as required
• Prepare and where appropriate, present reports, proposals and papers for stakeholders and senior meetings.
• Coach and encourage staff in a supportive environment, demonstrating willingness to listen, engage and support.
• Contribute to and deliver training and other forms of support to staff within the College.
• Promote and encourage professional development opportunities for the staff you manage, through the Professional Development Review process and the Birmingham Professional initiative, developing and enhancing necessary skillsets.
• Nurture good working relationships to ensure effective communication of College initiatives, also ensuring the University Planning & Policy Development processes and procedures are circulated effectively.
• The post holder will be required to undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required by the Head of Operations (Student Experience and Wellbeing) Deputy Director of Operations (Education) or Director of Operations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experienc e
You will need to evidence:
• Degree qualified (or equivalent qualification), or equivalent relevant work experience
• Significant experience of working in Higher Education student experience and/or management
You will be:
• Knowledgeable of the environmental, economic and political factors impacting on Higher Education.
• Experienced in analysing complex information and of contributing to action plans, strategic plans and quality reviews.
• Experienced in working within a customer centric organisation.
• Experienced in managing staff, delegating work to colleagues and collaborating with others at a senior level to deliver change and/or projects.
In addition to the above, you should be able to demonstrate and/or evidence the following:
• High level of competence in the use of IT with proficient experience of using Microsoft Office, databases (preferably student record systems) and online learning resources
• Excellent interpersonal skills, experience of working collaboratively with the ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues at every level of an organisation
• Excellent organisational skills
• The ability to cope with change in a fast moving, dynamic environment where change is often required immediately.
• Ability to demonstrate effective negotiating and positive influencing skills
• Ability to demonstrate tact and diplomacy, and the ability to deal discreetly with confidential and sensitive matters
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to change communication style based on the audience
• Ability to work with minimum supervision, and be self-motivated but also able to work as part of a larger team
• Exemplary attention to detail and the ability to work confidentially, use judgement and make appropriate decisions within the constraints of the role
• Excellent understanding of delivering excellent customer service and the ability to influence others to deliver
• Demonstrate a flexible, positive and creative approach to work and meticulous attention to detail
• Demonstrate ability to acquire knowledge and understanding of detailed University policies and procedures and apply them in practice with the ability to interpret policy and offer advice to colleagues
• An understanding of the importance of equality and diversity in both the workplace and for the student body, taking a sensitive and direct approach to challenging behaviours, supporting students and staff, and creating an inclusive environment
• Ability to identify and respond to equality and diversity issues in line with relevant policies and procedures.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.
:Engineering and Physical Sciences
:19.07.2021, 7:00:00 PMGrade (for job description):Grade 7
Salary (Pay Basis)
Advert Close Date
:10.08.2021, 6:59:00 PM
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally