Senior Payroll Clerk – Payroll – 14752 – Grade 6-(22000016)
Payroll – Human Resources
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £27,924 to £30,497, with potential progression once in post to £34,304
Full Time and Permanent
Closing date: 23 January 2022
Provide operational payroll provision to students, staff and casuals across the University.
The post holder will also, alongside other payroll colleagues, and under the direction of the Payroll Team Leader, take responsibility for the operational working of certain University Payrolls, with a particular emphasis on ensuring that deadlines are met by staff and that policy and procedures are adhered to.
• Undertake administrative duties associated with the payroll ensuring the correct application, accuracy and timescales, including the following areas:
o National Insurance
o Income tax
o Pension contributions
o Student loans
o SSP, statutory maternity, paternity etc pay
o Overtime payments
o Casual assignments
• The post-holder is also responsible for the provision of payroll information and complex advice to Human Resources, University Staff, University Students, External claimants and External agencies.
• They will be expected to understand the impact of all current and new legislation, supporting the implementation, training and communications of any changes.
• The post holder will have a key role in providing advice on complex payroll related matters particularly with regard to tax and national insurance.
• They will deal with staff at all levels throughout the University, and with external agencies in ensuring that payments are paid accurately and in a timely fashion having regard for complex legislation and regulations
• Support and undertake all reconciliation activities associated with the above to include cross functional training and knowledge share across the payroll team.
• Undertake all necessary training to keep completely up to date with system developments and upgrades, to demonstrate appropriate skills and knowledge.
• Undertake any system testing required by the team to ensure operational changes are fit for purpose
• Assist with answering and monitoring any queries emanating from the payroll and pensions service desk set up to monitor all payroll, pension and associated queries.
• Run and provide data and reports as and when necessary.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
• Experience of Oracle Cloud payroll software beneficial
• Knowledge of financial and payroll legislation, regulatory bodies and procedures associated with HMRC, DWP, PAYE etc;
• Demonstrable experience of reconciliation processes
• Good organisational and system skills, demonstrating accuracy and attention to detail;
• Customer-centric approach, demonstrating a sense of urgency in resolving issues with excellent troubleshooting/problem solving/decision making abilities;
• Experience of working within a shared service environment beneficial
• Ability to demonstrate professionalism and confidentiality;
• Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day to day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally