Project Manager – College of Arts and Law – Grade 7 – 97754-(210001AB)
College of Arts and Law
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £30,942 to £40,322. With potential progression once in post to £42,792 a year.
Fixed term contract for 24 months
Closing Date: 4th August 2021
Interviews will be held in week commencing 16th August 2021
The post holder will provide professional research project management support to the Director and management team of ‘Institute for STEMM in Culture and Society (ISTEMMiCS), Principal Investigators and academic staff at all career stages to ensure establishment, development and delivery of a thematic research strategy across a portfolio of national, international research and networking projects. The multi-disciplinary team within ISTEMMiCS are in continuous active grant pursuit alongside running a multi-million-pound research portfolio of large-scale national and international projects.
The post holder will work directly with the Director of ISTEMMiCS, Principal Investigators and other research staff to provide effective operations management of a portfolio of research and consultancy projects, including reporting to funders, partnership management support/contracting, event management, facilitating relationship building both internally and externally to UoB, and contributing to the generation of funding. A key facet of this role will be working closely with the Director of ISTEMMiCS and Principal Investigators to undertake the active management of complex budgets and monitoring of project milestones.
The role will involve interactions with a wide range of organisations and individuals, including those working within partner organisations overseas, colleagues in the College Research Hub as well as other relevant teams within CAL and across UoB to ensure seamless delivery of research development activity.
This position provides an ideal opportunity to work within a demanding, multidisciplinary research environment, in an ambitious University that seeks to grow its research income.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities may include some but not all of the responsibilities outlined below:
• Working closely with the Director of ISTEMMiCS, Principal Investigator(s) and other research staff to develop and implement operational plans for a portfolio of research and consultancy projects.
• Providing regular financial management information to support the operations and the strategic planning process of research project(s) delivery and reporting, with the support of relevant finance and/or research support staff as relevant
• Monitoring income and expenditure on research contracts and external projects, providing budgetary overview and financial guidance to the Director of ISTEMMiCS and Principal Investigators.
• Proactively identifying challenges/risks that may affect the achievement of research objectives and deadlines, using judgement to implementation solutions and escalating as relevant, including monitoring risk registers.
• Carrying out high level administrative tasks related directly to the delivery of the research
• Line managing or supervising project officers and other relevant project funded professional service staff as necessary
• Working with the Director of ISTEMMiCS, Principal Investigators and college research development and support staff to develop and implement strategy regarding national and international external partnership development, contract negotiations and operations management.
• Acting as the key point of contact for budget holders within research team and institutional finance teams, providing expert advice and guidance as required.
• Liaising with national/international research partners to collate financial and output data necessary to prepare and submit detailed quarterly reports to funders.
• Co-ordinating and facilitating partner or stakeholder discussion/team meetings, including progressing relevant actions
• Proven ability to liaise with external collaborators and partners constructively on the research delivery, where appropriate
• Managing research project delivery including keeping up to date records and monitoring of outputs and outcomes against key project(s) milestones.
• Working with Principal Investigator(s), and other relevant research staff, to prepare and submit detailed quarterly reports to funders.
• Working with the Director/Deputy Director of ISTEMMiCS, the college research hub and other relevant teams to facilitate grant funding pursuit and income generation activities
• Facilitating and oversighting the co-ordination, planning and delivery of team meetings, academic research dissemination events and conferences, or public engagement and other impact related activities, and directly managing these events as relevant
• Ensuring effective dissemination of the project outcomes via social media, project websites and other channels, working together with marketing and communications, with the Director of ISTEMMiCS, the Principal Investigators and other relevant research staff
• Liaising with the Director of ISTEMMiCS, Principal Investigators, other relevant research staff, and other departments within University of Birmingham to facilitate research and/or teaching contributions, research methods training, and/or curriculum development
• Monitoring mandatory compliance, for example ethics and data protection, and troubleshooting any emerging issues
• Promotes equality and values diversity acting as a role model and fostering an inclusive working culture.
• Relevant first degree or equivalent experience.
• Proven project management experience with a successful track record of managing complex research programmes within timescale and to budget
• Proven track record of complex research project budget management.
• Experience of managing staff to deliver high-quality support.
• Proven knowledge and understanding of multi-disciplinary research management issues such as research governance, ethical review, data protection, intellectual property
• Proven ability to interpret, analyse and present information and formulate clear proposals on the basis of the analysis, with an exceptional eye for details
• Experience of planning and delivering research related events and conferences, or public engagement and other impact related activities.
• Managing development of complex, multi-partner projects (including budget planning and monitoring)
• Proven ability to proactively and creatively solve problems, owning them from the outset through to successful resolution
• A firm but diplomatic approach ; developed networking skills and considerable experience of stakeholder management and maintaining effective working relationships with all levels of staff and external contacts
• Experience of designing and implementing protocols and procedures within a team
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to assess resource requirements and apply judgement to use resources effectively
• Ability to co-ordinate own work with others to avoid conflict or duplication of effort
• Proven ability to prioritise and to schedule workloads in the face of conflicting demands, to meet both internal and external deadlines whilst maintaining standards
• Excellent written and oral communication skills including proven experience of writing reports and delivering presentations
• Demonstrable experience of and/or interest in, working in an international, cross-cultural or similar collaborative team environment
• Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day to day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.
:Philosophy, Theology and Religion
:14.07.2021, 7:00:00 PMGrade (for job description):Grade 7
Salary (Pay Basis)
Advert Close Date
:04.08.2021, 6:59:00 PMFixed Term Contract End Date31.08.2023
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally