This new role will provide operational and management support to the School Manager and the School’s senior management team across all activities of the School’s Undergraduate and Postgraduate Research programmes, with the principal aim of delivering an efficient, effective and quality-driven education service to the School.
A high priority of the post-holder will be facilitating and delivering through student engagement, an excellent student experience.
The post-holder may also manage Post-graduate Taught education Professional Service staff and other activities, if/when required.
* In consultation with the School Manager, to line manage the education administrative teams, with particular emphasis on promoting team ethos and upholding the highest of quality standards; recognising their personal development opportunities; and managing their performance, probation and appraisal. Management responsibilities will extend to members of the administrative staff for the BSc/MOptom, PhD and if/when required, PGT programmes.
* To provide support and guidance to team members on welfare issues, escalating as necessary to specialist support areas
* To manage and be responsible for undergraduate administrative activities within the School, which spans the undergraduate curriculum including: admissions and enrolment; administrative oversight of all patient-facing clinics and student placements; student support matters; administrative oversite of student evaluation, assessment, student cases and complaints.
* To provide administrative support for accreditation and re-accrediatation of Undergraduate/ Postgraduate research programmes of study.
* Working in partnership with academic staff, to ensure the timely response to student feedback, advising on and, when required, implementing enhancement of service provision, with priority on delivering through the student voice an excellent student experience.
* In consultation with the appropriate academic lead, to manage and undertake administrative tasks associated with the School’s Timetables for undergraduate programmes.
* To ensure that the School’s undergraduate regulations and procedures operate efficiently and effectively with the highest emphasis on quality control and service delivery.
* To ensure knowledge and compliance with University rules and Regulations and provide expertise and guidance to members of academic and professional services staff, as appropriate.
* To provide professional advice and guidance on education administrative processes and procedures to internal and external stakeholder appropriate course of action where appropriate, and ensuring complex and conceptual issues are understood
* To take responsibility for resolving issues independently within education administration, where they fall within set role objectives
* To investigate and analyse specific issues within optometric education, creating recommendation reports, supported by evidenced-based advances within optometry.
* To ensure that the provision of optometric education is delivered to the institution, proactively; changing the delivery according to stakeholder and regulatory requirements.
* To establish working relationships with key contacts, developing appropriate communication links with the University’s Schools/Directorates and outside bodies, to ensure the success of the team’s objectives and long-term plans.
* To create specific working groups from colleagues across the University to achieve the School/University objectives.
* To undertake the training of others in areas relating to the team’s work
* In accordance with appropriate staff, to plan and deliver specific projects (such as General Optical Council inspections), co-ordinating and supervising project teams, as needed.
(Continued in additional information)
IMPORTANT NOTE TO CANDIDATES: It is the University’s policy to use the person specification as a key tool for short-listing and we only invite candidates to interview who clearly evidence that they meet (or partially meet) each of the essential criteria. During the application process you will be asked to attach a supporting statement. This statement must outline how you meet the criteria below and we recommended formatting this by using each criteria as a sub-heading and providing your relevant experience/evidence below each sub-heading. It is crucial that you save your supporting statement with the vacancy number (eg. 1234BR) in the filename as failure to do so may result in it being omitted from your application.
Qualifications and Education
1. Degree or equivalent work related experience
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
2. Significant experience of working within a comparable/relevant administrative role with a high level of interaction with users of the service.
3. Significant experience of supervising a team with experience of managing the work of others and dealing with performance and welfare issues.
4. Ability to demonstrate professional knowledge within a specialist discipline to give advice and guidance to internal and external customers
5. A high level of general IT competence, including an excellent working knowledge of current versions of Microsoft Office
Customer Service, Communication and Team Working
6. Ability to communicate conceptually detailed and complex information effectively and professionally to a wide range of people.
7. Evidence of ability to explore stakeholders’ needs and adapt the service accordingly to ensure a quality professional service is delivered
Planning, Analysis and Problem solving
8. Evidence of ability to solve expansive problems using initiative and creativity; identify and propose both practical and innovative solutions
9. Evidence of ability to plan the work of a team, over extended time periods, reacting to competing changes in workload and priority.
10. Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a high-volume environment, meeting strict deadlines whilst maintaining the highest level of accuracy and attention to detail.
11. Good working knowledge of SIMS, Business Objects, MS Access and Scientia.
12. Knowledge and experience of student life-cycle processes.
13. Postgraduate/Professional qualification
14. Experience of working in a Higher Education environment
15. Fluency in Welsh, written and oral
(Continued from job description)
* To ensure the delivery of the team’s service level agreements, adapting these according to changes in workload and stakeholder/regulatory requirements
* To undertake a variety of administrative duties to support the School/University.
* To gather and analyse data to inform decisions, establishing basic trends and patterns in data and creating reports as appropriate.
* To instruct and guide other employees across the University within the area of education.
* To ensure that an understanding of the importance of confidentiality is applied when undertaking all duties
* Abide by University policies on Health and Safety and Equality and Diversity
* To perform other duties which are not included above, but which will be consistent with the role
Management & Executive
Internal Only – Student Education Manager | Cardiff University
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally