To provide a lead within the Education Office for supporting postgraduate students, leading and managing a team supporting both Undergraduate and Postgraduate students in the School of Biosciences.
* Jointly Manage (with the Education Office Manager (Undergraduate)) the operation of the Education Office with particular responsibility for Postgraduate support, planning, organising and delegating work, monitoring progress and intervening as required.
* Take a lead on providing support for postgraduate research students to include: Coordinating postgraduate admissions, enrolment, progression and assessment; Maintaining up to date publicity materials and promote available PhD opportunities.
* Oversee specific areas of undergraduate and postgraduate support as allocated which may include: timetabling, admissions, graduation, exams and assessments.
* Work closely with the Education Office Manager (Undergraduate) to coordinate the process for postgraduate researcher support for undergraduate practical classes and other undergraduate teaching support as required.
* Supervise the work of staff across the Education Office and develop a broad and detailed understanding of the day to day work of the Office to support the team to give advice and guidance to students and academic staff.
* Manage the performance, induction and development of the team
* Support and guide team members in welfare issues, escalating as necessary to specialist support areas.
* Ensure the delivery of the team’s services to a high standard, following School procedures and University regulations and deadlines, adapting approach to services according to changes in workload and customer requirements.
* Collaborate with others in order to make recommendations for the development of established processes and procedures.
* Undertake the training of others in areas relating to the teams work.
* Undergo personal and professional development that is appropriate to and which will enhance performance.
* Establish working relationships with key contacts to help improve service levels, developing appropriate communication links with Academic staff within the School, and within Professional services as required.
* Gather and analyse data to inform management decisions, establishing basic trends and patterns in data and creating reports as appropriate.
* Ensure that an understanding of the importance of confidentiality is applied when undertaking all duties.
* Abide by University policies on Health and Safety and Equality and Diversity.
* Perform other duties occasionally which are not included above, but which will be consistent with the role.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When submitting your application, you should attach a supporting statement which evidences how you meet all of the essential criteria below. When attaching this, please ensure you include 12641BR within the filename.
1. Degree/ NVQ4 or Equivalent professional membership/experience
2. Experience of supervising the work of others and managing own workload concurrently: working unsupervised to deadlines, planning and setting priorities for own work and that of others and monitoring progress.
3. A high level of IT competency, working regularly with Microsoft packages (including Word & Excel) and demonstrating excellent attention to detail.
4. Ability to set up standard office systems and procedures and make improvements to ensure that stakeholder needs are consistently met.
5. Ability to communicate detailed and complex information effectively and professionally with a wide range of people and to give advice and guidance to internal and external customers.
6. Experience of supporting staff and dealing with performance and welfare issues
7. Evidence of ability to explore customers’ needs and adapt the service accordingly to ensure a quality service is delivered.
8. Evidence of ability to solve expansive problems using initiative and creativity; identifying and proposing practical solutions and resolving problems with range of potential outcomes
9. Evidence of ability to plan the work of a team, delegating effectively and ensuring all team members deliver a positive customer experience.
10. Ability to react to changes in workload and competing priorities and to work under pressure
1. Experience of working in a Higher Education environment ideally in a student-facing role
2. Experience of working in an administrative role supporting undergraduate or postgraduate education.
3. Experience of managing and motivating a team.
4. Fluency in Welsh, written and oral
Admin / Clerical, Management & Executive
Internal Only – Education Office Manager (Postgraduate) | Cardiff University
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally