Graduate Materials Testing Consultant
Salary: £ commensurate with experience
Introduction to WRc
WRc is one of the UK’s most innovative scientific and engineering consultancies and is now part of the RSK Group. Founded over 90 years ago, we have a unique heritage. We are trusted by Government, industry, regulators and the utilities to solve today’s most significant and urgent challenges in the fields of water, gas, waste and the natural environment.
Our Waste and Resources team is looking for a graduate chemist, chemical engineer or materials scientist. The role will be based at Swindon. Approximately half your time will be spent within WRc’s on-site waste characterisation laboratory. You will help our team of ‘waste doctors’ investigate and characterise waste streams and secondary products, supporting our clients to increase the sustainability of their operations. The role will require independent working and a proven practical aptitude in performing chemical and physical tests.
- Routine and specialist waste and product testing e.g. making up reagents, sample preparation and flammability, biodegradability, leachability and other testing.
- Method development and refinement of laboratory techniques to support innovative testing approaches.
- Data processing, analysis, modelling and interpretative reporting.
- Communicating with internal and external parties.
- Technical support for consultancy projects.
Education, experience and skills
- Minimum of a first degree in a STEM discipline, preferably an environmental, engineering or chemical science.
- Ability to define problems, collect and interpret data with excellent IT skills, draw valid conclusions, and make recommendations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to both follow detailed instructions and innovate, willingly take ownership of issues and seek team participation to achieve best solutions.
- Ideally some previous laboratory experience of following test procedures and preparing for experiments e.g. making up chemicals, although full training will be provided.
- Ability to adhere to safety, health, environmental and quality protocols and advise appropriate intervention or refinement where necessary.
- Eligible to work permanently in the UK.
WRc’s Waste and Resources team has an ambitious plan for significant growth and expansion in the next five years. This will provide exciting project and development opportunities for the right people joining us. You will play your part in our future by enabling us to achieve our commercial objectives through the delivery of customer-focused solutions. In return, you will be part of an organisation in which expertise is celebrated, an infectious passion for your specialist skill-set is actively welcomed, and drive and performance are rewarded.
Culture & Benefits
In our welcoming and inclusive environment, at WRc and RSK we foster a culture where talented and motivated people are nurtured, encouraged and supported to succeed and develop their skills. We know that with the right people, we are able to build on our unrivalled reputation in the fields of innovation and technical excellence. We welcome team members who bring new ways of thinking and fresh approaches to problem solving as well as those who have a genuine passion for their specialist subject or area of research.
We offer a wide range of benefits including:
- £commensurate with experience
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance
- A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays and private health care
- Regular training and career development
- Active Sports and Social Club
- Subsidised on-site staff restaurant
- Free Parking
- On-site gardening club & allotments
- Regular offers through RSK Group (e.g. Tastecard, Gym membership, Holidays and Entertainment)
- Office location with easy M4 access / excellent travel links
At RSK we operate an open and relaxed management culture that nurtures continuous improvement and innovation, adopting a proactive growth strategy helps us to run a sustainable and profitable business while providing new and exciting career opportunities for all. The company prides itself on providing employees with a rewarding and challenging career, encouraging Continuous Professional Development and enabling them to reach their full potential. Listed as being in the top 3 environmental consultancies and listed in the Sunday Times PwC Top Track 250, there has never been a more exciting time to join.
Furthermore, retaining our employees is the building block of a successful organisation and we want to ensure you maintain a healthy work life balance, with many opportunities for flexible working, social activities, and community involvement projects.
RSK is also committed to our Corporate Responsibility strategy. We seek to minimise our impact on the environment; to engage positively with the community and education groups; to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere in which to work; and to promote Corporate Responsibility throughout our supply chain.
All candidates applying for positions within RSK Group must be eligible to work in the UK.
RSK Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally