Do you get excited about working out how to peel pineapples moving at 6 metres per second? Do you want to build a machine to cool a can of beer to -2°C in less than 10 seconds? Can you put together an experiment to measure the electrical impedance of human skin in an afternoon?
We apply physics to solve real world commercial challenges
PA Consulting works with clients who want to gain a commercial edge by using new technologies in both new and established markets. The Applied Sciences team uses fundamental science to think differently and support early stage and proof of concept projects, ultimately answering the question, “Is this possible?” For this we need physicists who want to go further than the theory, and use it to build prototypes and ultimately work with engineering teams to bring new products to market.
- We translate science and technology into commercially viable break-out products and processes
- We give our clients a true competitive edge by collecting and interpreting experimental data to make rational product development decision, and then help them do that product development. Fast.
- Applied physicists will work as part of multi-disciplinary science and engineering teams to prototype, characterise and explore technologies and processes
We are looking for ‘hands on’ scientists that like nothing better than finding new ways of solving problems to provide a competitive edge for our clients in sustainability, quantum systems, biomedical technologies, sensors and sensing systems and more in sectors as diverse as defence, food, medtech, energy and utilities
This is a rare opportunity to work at the intersection of technical feasibility, business viability and consumer desirability. The range of work performed at the Global Innovation and Technology Centre is broad and ever-changing. You might build models of complex physical systems to understand expected performance, creatively identify new ways to solve technical challenges, design or build experimental setups to test hypotheses and transferring this knowledge all the way through to product and process launches. Or sometimes several of these at once
Each new project is new and different – you will use all the science you learned in your degree and learn a lot more
If you’re a physicist who loves to solve real-world problems, we’d love to meet you
Product Design Engineering at PA is unique among technology consultancies in offering clients the opportunity to integrate new products and technology through to wider business solutions
Our PDE programme is based out of our state-of-the-art Global Technology Centre in Melbourn. As a member of our PDE team, you will innovate at the intersection of science, technology and market needs. We pride ourselves on developing innovative solutions to hard problems.
We will provide you with the opportunity to work across a multitude of sectors, working within teams which take products from idea to market quickly and efficiently.
You will be enrolled onto our Graduate Development Programme, including access to mentoring; and at the end of the scheme, you will be eligible for promotion to our Consultant Analyst rank.
The Applied Science group is looking for a graduate scientist with a background in physics. You should combine a strong theoretical and experimental background, with an enthusiasm for complex real-world technical problems.
You should be:
- On track for an undergraduate degree in physics or related degree
- Able to demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- Excited to learn and apply new technical skills and rapidly acquire domain expertise
- Comfortable working in a hands-on lab setting and performing desk-based research or modelling
- Interested in the cutting edge of science and technology and have a desire to apply these advances in practical applications
In addition, the following will also be beneficial but not essential:
- A Master’s degree in a physical science
This is an exciting opportunity to apply science in situations which will ultimately lead to real-world innovation.
- Private medical insurance
- Travel allowance
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Additional optional benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
Inclusion & Diversity
We believe that diversity makes us a stronger firm and look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skill sets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
Should you need any adjustments to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact us on [email protected]
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally