Digital Learning Designer – External Relations – 95125Z – Grade 7-(2100019F)
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £30,942 to £40,322, with potential progression once in post to £42,792
Full Time/FTC up until May 2022 to cover maternity leave
Closing date – 29th July 2021
This role is also open as an internal secondment opportunity which would need to be agreed by your current line manager.
The University of Birmingham has been challenging and developing great minds for more than a century. Characterised by a tradition of innovation, research at the University has broken new ground, pushed forward the boundaries of knowledge and made an impact on people’s lives. We continue this tradition today and have ambitions for a future that will embed our work and recognition of the Birmingham name on the international stage.
We develop innovative solutions to address big issues, combining original thinking with clear focus and rigour, intellectual curiosity with practical application. We enjoy being the first to do things; navigating complexity, opening access and unlocking value so that others can follow and benefit.
We are well-resourced and well-grounded, persuasive and persistent, ambitious and independent minded. We encourage and empower people to turn their ingenuity into reality and make important things happen.
External Relations is the division responsible for delivering the University of Birmingham to the world and prides itself in seizing opportunities that will enhance the profile and reputation of the University. We communicate with many different audiences in order to build purposeful relationships internally, locally, nationally and internationally. We enable those who wish to apply to study on undergraduate and postgraduate courses to make informed choices. We recognise that we are strongest when we work together and take pride in upholding our core values of being collaborative, innovative, professional, respectful, supportive and acting with integrity.
The Educational Enterprise team leads the development of courses that extend our reach beyond the current footprint of the University. The team are responsible for driving forward a number of flagship educational projects including the development of fully online degrees, CPD courses and the digital enrichment of our education portfolio. The team combine an understanding of pedagogic techniques, learning design and enabling digital technologies to proactively identify and capitalise on opportunities for business development and the delivery of innovative learning experiences.
Summary of Role
This post is an exciting opportunity for an experienced learning designer to play a key role in the design and development of an innovative portfolio of online degrees and CPD programmes.
Working within a multidisciplinary digital learning design and development team, you will work closely with academic and professional services colleagues to deliver innovative learning experiences that draw upon the latest tools, technology and techniques.
With a proven track record of leading the development and delivery of high quality learning resources you will use your initiative and experience to create engaging course content across a range of digital learning initiatives.
With your finger on the pulse you will build strong networks to proactively identify and evaluate emerging best practice, taking every opportunity to share insight and knowledge with colleagues across the university and help maintain our reputation as a market leader.
• Work in partnership with academic and professional services colleagues to design and develop a range of innovative digital learning resources.
• Storyboard and/or wireframe courses as part of the shaping process.
• Create digital learning materials (including video, graphics and interactive experiences) as required, maximising the value from all resources available.
• Build courses on appropriate digital learning platforms and ensure ongoing support.
• Contribute to and implement project plans to achieve the desired outcomes.
• Plan, prioritise and allocate resources against agreed/negotiated targets.
• Maximise the learning opportunities that can be derived from the virtual and physical learning environments available.
• Explore opportunities to develop content using emerging tools and technologies.
• Proactively record changes in project scope and identify risks and mitigations.
• Implement and contribute to learning design and programme development frameworks.
• Identify and embrace opportunities for collaboration with other projects and initiatives across the University.
• Contribute to the development and implement of style guides, quality standards and templates for consistent production across the university.
• Design and deliver workshops and training courses as required.
• Analyse usage patterns to inform future development and delivery.
• Assist with project management and facilitation for the advancement of digital education across University.
• Cultivate a network of relevant external contacts and resources to enable observation of trends in learning, teaching and wider digital innovations to contribute to horizon scanning, helping to inform the wider University strategy.
• Undertake such other duties as may be required from time to time to further the work of the university.
• Demonstrable experience of working within a learning design capacity in a higher and/or professional education environment.
• Ability to create and maintain digital resources for learning – including, graphics and video.
• An excellent understanding of and confidence with complex IT systems and multimedia content creation.
• A passion for developing great user experiences
• Critical understanding of pedagogic and academic issues and processes as applied to higher education.
• Detailed knowledge of how virtual learning environments (such as Canvas) and other associated systems that can be used to support teaching and learning.
• Experience of collaborating with educators in the use of learning technologies.
• Significant experience of working with virtual learning environments, ideally with some Canvas experience or similar.
• Ability to evaluate and quickly learn new software tools.
• Experience of working as part of a team.
• Strong inter-personal and communication skills.
• Experience of estimating priorities to fulfil defined targets.
• The ability to work independently, accurately and to deadlines within a team environment.
• The ability to interpret, analyse and present information and formulate clear proposals on the basis of the analysis.
• Proven ability to work on multiple projects and/or work streams concurrently, managing workload appropriately to achieve specified deliverables within required timeframes and to required quality standards.
• Experience of delivering face-to-face and remote training in the use of learning technologies.
• Experience of working between different departments, teams or organisations.
• Experience of fostering partnerships with stakeholders and colleagues to enable collaborative working in the area of technology enhanced learning.
• Excellent documentation and report writing skills, with experience of authoring documents to the high standard demanded of University committees.
• The ability to prioritise, negotiate and use one’s own judgement when responding to enquiries from staff (often senior staff) and students.
• Previous experience of a customer driven environment.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.
:14.07.2021, 7:00:00 PMGrade (for job description):Grade 7
Salary (Pay Basis)
Advert Close Date
:29.07.2021, 6:59:00 PMFixed Term Contract End Date23.05.2022
Apply For This Job
You can apply for this job externally via the button below.Apply for this job externally